Tips for Preparing for Your Divorce
Filing for divorce is stressful and difficult for the entire family. It is important to work with a family law attorney who is compassionate and understanding and who walks you through each step of the divorce process.
There is no magic formula that can be applied to every divorce case. However, in every case, it is important to take steps to prepare for dissolving your marriage. A few tips to consider are:
- Take time to research divorce attorneys. This includes asking for referrals, reading law firms’ websites and checking other websites, such as state and county bar associations, Martindale and Avvo.
- Make a list of your questions to ensure you get the answers you need. Be sure to ask if the lawyer seeks cost-effective settlements, but also make sure the attorney is willing to litigate your case if necessary.
- Write down all of your marital assets and debts.
- Locate any documentation you have showing your spouse’s current income and your income.
- If you do not already have credit established in your own name, start building it now.
- Cancel all joint credit card accounts.
- Retain an attorney who has experience in family law matters, but it is also important to work with a lawyer you feel you can trust.
If you are facing divorce, it is important to begin working with your lawyer as soon as possible to protect your rights. Let Lauren B. Abramson, Esq. provide the compassionate, yet aggressive representation you want in your divorce matter. Schedule your initial consultation today!