Family Lawyer Assists with Child Support Modifications

We pursue or challenge changes to your support order

The costs of rearing a child change over time, particularly as the child gets older or develops special needs. Lauren B. Abramson, Esq., who holds a master’s degree in social work, has been helping families in the Westchester County area modify child support orders since 1987. We represent those receiving support and those paying support.

What is the child support modification process?

A parent seeking an upward or downward change in child support must file a motion or petition with the court. After the motion or petition is filed, the court sets a hearing, at which the judge decides if there have been changes in circumstances that warrant a modification. If the court approves a new child support amount, it also will decide when the modification should take effect.

What are common reasons for a child support modification?

Substantial changes in the circumstances of the child or either parent can justify a modification. Some of the common reasons for requesting a child support modification include:

  • Job loss
  • Significant increase or decrease in income
  • Changes in parenting time
  • Changes in physical custody
  • Changes in childcare costs
  • Changes in the child’s medical care needs

The attorney and staff at the law offices of Lauren B. Abramson can evaluate whether your change in circumstances is likely to justify a child support modification.

Is support adjusted for changes in the cost of living?

Every two years, the Division of Child Support Enforcement of the state’s Office of Temporary and Disability Assistance automatically reviews each child support order to determine if a cost of living increase is appropriate.

If the cost of living has increased by more than 10 percent since the order was issued or since the last review, the amount of child support will be increased by the percentage change in the cost of living. The cost of living adjustments can be made without going to court.

A notice is sent to both parents when a case is eligible for a cost of living adjustment, and either parent may request the adjustment. For cases in which the custodial parent or child is on public assistance, the cost of living adjustment is made automatically when the case becomes eligible, without either parent requesting the adjustment.

Contact us today for answers to your child support questions

Lauren B. Abramson, Esq. helps families in the White Plains area find solutions to their child support issues. We’re open from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call us at 914-908-6829 or contact us online today to schedule a consultation. Our office is across from Saxon Woods Park, between the Hutchinson River Parkway and the New England Thruway.